Mold develops when humid air is trapped in closed spaces like basements or storage units. The risk is most severe as humidity levels begin to exceed 50%. In these instances, the mold will spread rapidly, causing permanent damage to any belongings you may have stored in that space.
Relative humidity in Napa Valley, while considered a somewhat dry climate compared to other parts of the country, will exceed 50% during most months, particularly winter.
Here are some suggestions to eliminate the possibility of mold development while your property is in storage:
- One solution is to store your belongings in a climate-controlled environment.
- Clean each item before storing it. A thorough cleaning before storing reduces the amount of moisture and dirt that can attract mold. In the right environment, your belongings will come from storage in the same condition as when they were initially stored.
- Keep items off the ground. Elevating your stored items off the ground on pallets or shelves allows air to circulate and prevents moisture from accumulating.
- Use airtight containers. Store items in airtight containers, such as plastic bins or containers, to keep moisture and humidity levels low.
- Never store damp items. These will cause mold and mildew to develop that can spread to other objects within the public storage unit.
- Keep your stored items dry. Even when your belongings are dry when you place them into one of the Napa storage units, it is a good idea to place moisture-absorbing products like silica gel packets around the unit to help keep the contents moisture-free. These desiccants can absorb up to 40% of their weight, so checking and replacing them periodically is always a good idea.
- Check your items regularly. Periodic inspection is always a good idea. Regularly check your items for signs of mold development, musty odors, or discoloration, and address all issues immediately.
Following these tips can help prevent mold growth in your public storage unit and keep your items in top condition when you are ready to use them again.
Contact Southgate Storage for Top-Quality Napa Storage Units
In Napa Valley and surrounding areas, Southgate Storage is the premier public storage facility. Short or long-term Southgate Napa Storage Units are:
- Convenient: Select your perfect modern public storage unit easily with the help of one of Southgate Storage’s professionals. The modern, secure facility offers Napa storage units of various sizes ranging from 5’x10 to 12’x30’. Also, 12’x40’ RV storage parking spaces are available, each paved, fenced, and secured with a coded keypad.
- Secure: A security fence surrounds the Southgate Storage facility. The property is well-lighted, and 24/7 digital camera surveillance and controlled gate access are maintained. Tenants are issued a PIN security code number that allows access.
- Affordable: The Southgate public storage unit cost is among the lowest in the Napa area. Select the size that best fits your needs and budget. You may check the current rates on the Southgate Storage website.
Contact Southgate Storage for Safe, Secure, and Convenient Public Storage
To learn more, contact the professionals at Southgate Storage in Napa. You can complete the brief Contact Us form on the website, and a Southgate Storage associate will contact you.
You may also phone for an appointment to see the Napa storage units at (707)-255-1677.
Or you may drop by Southgate Storage during operating hours at 1025 Golden Gate Drive in Napa.