Moving your household comes with a myriad of timing and logistical issues and decisions. While moving to a new place can be exciting, the process takes significant planning and organization, sometimes resulting in moving certain items into or out of temporary public storage.
If you happen to be moving from a rental property, another critical step must be considered. You must address cleaning the rental unit thoroughly before you vacate to recover your substantial rental deposit.
Recover Your Deposit: Returning the Rental to its Original Condition
Property managers and owners expect tenants to return their units to their original condition. Your security deposit is their insurance that will cover any repairs or cleanings needed after you vacate. If no particular action is necessary after the property inspection, the owner should return your deposit within a reasonable time.
However, if the rental is damaged or requires more-than-usual cleaning, the rental manager or owner may deduct the necessary amount from the deposit to rectify the situation.
So, to get the deposit returned in full, renters should take the necessary steps before vacating the property.
Planning Your Move
When moving out of a rental property, leaving the place clean and in good condition is vital to ensure you retrieve your security deposit. Here are some ideas for bringing the parcel back to its original state before moving out:
- Check for damage: Check for any damage and repair as needed.
- Make a checklist: At least a week before your move, list all areas in the rental property that must be addressed and ensure you don’t miss any.
- Start early: Give yourself enough time to clean the property thoroughly. Starting early allows you to avoid rushing and missing essential details.
- Tackle tough stains: remove tough stains caused by grease, grime, and mold as soon as possible, using only appropriate cleaning products and techniques.
- Clean the kitchen thoroughly: Pay close attention to the refrigerator, stove, oven, cabinets, and microwave.
- Clean the bathroom: Clean all areas entirely, including the toilet, sink, and shower/tub.
- Dust and vacuum: Dust all surfaces, including shelves, furniture, and baseboards, and vacuum all carpets and flooring.
- Clean the windows: Clean the windows, inside and out, to remove any smudges or streaks.
- Take photos of the property before you move out to document its condition.
Following these tips can help ensure you get your deposit back when moving out of a rental property.
Finding Additional Space
When individuals, couples, and families decide to move to a new space, the size and configuration may not accommodate all the furnishings and valuable belongings. When this happens, often with “empty nesters” who are downsizing but do not wish to part with certain belongings, a quality public storage facility is the best solution.
Contact Southgate Storage in Napa
Whether for storing excess furniture, clothing, vehicles, or other valuable items for short or long term, state-of-the-art Southgate Storage in Napa offers clean, spacious, and highly secure storage units.
Put your mind at ease and know that your treasures will always be protected from the elements and completely secure from vandalism.
To learn more about 100% solar-powered Southgate Storage, visit the website to review the range of unit sizes and their affordable rates, and you can even reserve your preferred unit online.
If you have questions, contact the storage professionals at Southgate in Napa by phoning (707)-255-1677. Or you may complete the brief Contact Us form on the website, and one of the Southgate Storage experts will respond promptly.